QUALIFICATION MECHANISM to IHIP COPA
WHAT IS THE QUALIFICATION MECHANISM?
An auto evaluation tool: IHIP is providing a qualification mechanism which allow you to auto asses your understanding of the fundamentals of the IHIP harmonized Conditions Of Particular Applications (COPA) for humanitarian construction works.
IHIP qualification mechanism focuses only on your understanding of the harmonized COPA developed by IHIP’s contract committee and available through the IHIP website.
It is not mandatory to be qualified to access, download and use the IHIP harmonized COPA.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
A series of questions is designed to qualify you to use the harmonized COPA. A selection of 45 questions refers to the the IHIP COPA for humanitarian works. You need to have them with you and understand the mechanics of the contract to be able to answer all the questions. You will be qualified if you answer all the questions correctly with a score of 100%.
- AUTO TEST
- This short serie of 5 questions allow you to self evaluate your readyness to take the qualification test to the IHIP COPA for humanitarian work. If you don’t have 100% good results to this auto test, you are not ready to pass the qualification test.
- Auto test (free)
- QUALIFICATION TEST
- This series of questions is designed to qualify you to use the Conditions of particular application to FIDIC SHORT FORM (1999) of Contract for Humanitarian Works.
The questions refer to the additional conditions specific to the conditions of particular application(COPA) of contract for construction proposed by IHIP. You need to have them with you and understand the mechanics of the FIDIC contract to be able to answer all the questions. You will be qualified if you answer all the questions correctly with a score of 100%. You have a maximun of 5 attempts. The first attemps is free and attempts 2 to 5 are 50$.
- Qualification test 1st Attempst (FREE)
- Qualification test 2nd to 5th Attempts (50$ each)
Once you qualify you will be listed in the IHIP list of qualified practitioners available online. This qualification might be requested by the parties to the contract ( employer and or contractor) as well as by funding organizations (donors or financial insititutions).
WHO SHOULD QUALIFY?
Any practitioner interacting with the contract should be qualified in order to make sure the IHP COPA are understood well enough to understand the risk allocation and the dialogue mechanism.
WHAT ARE THE PREREQUESITE?
The IHIP qualification mechanism is not focusing on the general conditions of contracts which are under FIDIC copyright and ownership. It is only focusing on the COPA.
It is recommanded to have some background understanding of how construction projects are to be considered in the humanitarian space. Go through the free 20 mn online course on construction standards. And then download the Construction Standard Guide (June 2021).
It is recommanded as a prerequesite to already know and understand the general conditions of contract of FIDIC short form of contract for construction. A usefull resource to guide you in this process is the FIDIC Contracts (1999 editions) Guide 1st Ed (2000).
IHIP recommends to get appropriate training regarding the FIDIC general conditions of contract from FIDIC if required.
IHIP qualification mechanism is not a certification process and does not garantee to other parties that the understanding of the contract is sufficient. It is an indication that you have read the COPA and understand how they articulate with the general conditions.
ADDITIONAL RESSOURCES IF YOU DON’T QUALIFY
If you don’t qualify we recommend the following resources to build up your knowledge:
- Technical Project Management (TPM) in WASH Emergencies from OXFAM. Free training available online after registering through disasterready.org plaform. The module 3 will show you when contracting out is a key element of the project cycle: Technical Project Management (TPM) in WASH Emergencies: Module 3 – Resource Mobilisation
- In english, online course for 205 GBP from ICE training (UK): Principles of Construction Contracts
- For all official training about FIDIC general condition of contract please visit the FIDIC WEBSITE.